Prepping for the 1940 US Census, I had a few snags while setting up the indexing program. I’ve had a chance to get back to it and try it out.
First of all, when setting up, the program crashed on me a few times. I haven’t seen that again, so that’s an improvement. Sometimes it’s another program running that conflicts and causes problems, and sometimes it’s just Windows.
Last time, I had some trouble with the View Sample in the Download Batch screen. This time, I was able to see a sample, although it didn’t quite match what I indexed. I was shown a World War II draft registration card but the project was for World War I draft registration. I downloaded and indexed a batch, which took me about 30 minutes.
The next batch I tried, I thought I clicked to view the sample again, but I never saw a sample. I probably clicked a couple times and hit the OK button once and it downloaded the batch. This time, I had ten images of marriage records, two records to each image. Again, this batch took me around 30 minutes or just a bit more.
The highlighting was far off on the draft registrations and non-existent for the marriage records. I did like that part about the census, but that’s a more uniform image with a lot more information condensed, so you need it more to keep track of where you are.
I did have a delay downloading at least one of the batches, but it was just a slow download. I’m also having all kinds of connectivity issues today, so it could be my own ISP.
Prior to this, I was able to add UJGS as my group, because I submit the society to the program. I still don’t know what that will tell me. I can’t find anywhere to look for more information. I assume it should give indexing statistics and a list of who is signed up for the group.
I just hope that the 1940 US Census pages I’m given are as readable as today’s records were.
The URL of this blog post is http://idogenealogy.com/blog/2012/03/29/indexing-fun/.